Portal Companion Cube! But the dice version, so it's got numbers on the sides, with a Heart for the #1.
Would you believe me if I told you that a portion of this model was made in zbrush? It seems silly, but it was. lol. The original model was made by my husband, out of a zillion intersecting objects. He originally made it for Shapeways prints, to be printed out the standard size of a dice.
He got the idea in his head this weekend to print a bigger version on our home machine now, and when I went into ReplicatorG to create the gcode for printing, it had an anurism over all the intersecting geo.
I could have spent ages trying to manually clean it up and make it airtight, but instead I just exported an obj, imported it into zbrush, and did a single Dynamesh pass, which retopos the whole thing in quads as a single airtight mesh. The mesh is insanely dense, but this is zbrush we're talking about, so no suprise there.
I descimated it A LOT and re-exported it into Maya, set the proper scale (zbrush's stl exporter is shit for getting accurate scale), and THEN popped it back into ReplicatorG to get the Gcode built.
Muuuuuch nicer with the cleaned up mesh. haha.
Two different print approaches were used for these -
One of them was printed as a single solid object, but with using raft support so that the bottom could print properly. Afterwards we cleaned off the raft support and filed and sanded down the rough bits.
The other was printed in two pieces - cut in half down the middle, so the flat middle side could be flat on the print platform, and afterwards, they were glued together with superglue.
Unfortunately, the one that was split in half and glued, had some curling issues on the Ďflatí ends, so they werenít totally flat. AND the superglue took hold super-fast, so itís not perfectly aligned.
Machine: Makerbot Replicator (Dual extruder version)
Layer height: .2mm
If you want one, you can buy them here: [link]
The version we're selling is the one that was printed as a solid object, so no gluing mishaps.